Grizzlies Prep is looking for excellent teachers in the following grades/subjects:
- 7th Grade Science
- 7th grade Social Studies
- Special Education
The core content teachers, in collaboration with other teachers and administrators, are the instructional leaders at Grizzlies Prep. Teachers manage and ensure the most important part of the school - the education our students receive – is of the highest quality and is expertly executed.
ABOUT GRIZZLIES PREP
Educating young men in grades 6-8, Grizzlies Prep prepares all students to excel academically and demonstrate integrity. Within a rigorous and disciplined middle school, students become equipped for success in high school, college, and life.
Grizzlies Prep holds all students to exceptionally high expectations. Grizzlies Prep offers an extended school day and double blocks of math and English Language Arts designed to advance all students to or above grade level performance. Financial Literacy, Science, Social Studies, “Crew” (small group mentoring), Physical Education, and electives (Art, Music, Gardening, Cooking, and Debate), round out course offerings. By integrating lessons on our Core Values –Courage, Commitment, Integrity, Responsibility, Grit, and Excellence – into daily instruction through precise routines, systems, and rituals, the staff ensures that Grizzlies Prep is an emotionally safe, physically safe, and joyous environment that primes our students to learn.
Grizzlies Prep’s exceptional teachers sharpen their skills through daily observation and feedback and through individual weekly data meetings with the school director. These meetings generate teacher-specific goals and actionable steps for immediate implementation. Weekly staff meetings focus on school-wide data, instructional and cultural themes, and specific, targeted support individual students. Daily Crew meetings and weekly community gathering meetings with our students provide a forum for character development and recognition of students who support our vision of every student excelling academically and demonstrating integrity.
The core content teacher takes responsibility for the daily execution of thoughtfully planned lessons and ensures that students and staff adhere to Grizzlies Prep’s systems, structures, and procedures at all times. Teachers give and receive feedback daily, and strive to grow and constantly improve their craft.
The staff at Grizzlies Prep is a team; teachers can count on one another and always have the backing and support of the administration. Clear, honest communication is a must.
Teachers will use data daily to inform their decisions and instruction. Teachers who demonstrate exceptional gains with their students and desire to continue to grow and teach in the classroom have the option of applying for the Master Teacher Track. The Master Teacher Track affords teachers flexibility to choose to keep a full course load or take on new teacher mentoring responsibilities and offers performance pay so that with continuous student results, a Master Teacher will have the opportunity to earn administrator pay.
Core content teachers report to the school director.
- Hold all students and coworkers accountable for all Grizzlies Prep expectations.
- Be a team player: share, assist, ask for help when needed, provide insights and ideas, be solution oriented, be flexible, hungry, kind, and humble.
- Read Teach Like a Champion by Doug Lemov before Teacher Preseason (i.e., inservice) begins and consistently integrate the teacher actions described therein into all instruction.
- Read Emotional Intelligence 2.0 by Travis Bradberry before Teacher Preseason begins.
- Participate in Grizzlies Prep’s curriculum design and integration process during Preseason.
- Integrate feedback generated through weekly classroom observations by the school director into all instruction.
- Break down all content standards to create student-friendly goals. Backwards plan from TN state standards, Core content standards, ACT standards, and interim and final assessments to create a year-long scope and sequence.
- Submit high-quality lesson plans to the school director on a weekly basis (includes at a minimum: TN or Core standard taught; learning target; assessments to be used; brief class period agenda; all student materials) and revise plans in response to feedback.
- Create, administer, and track weekly and unit assessments.
- Update parents/guardians on the progress of their student(s) frequently and log documentation (at least 10 contacts a week, half of which will be positive).
- Prepare and maintain a welcoming classroom that is clean and organized.
- Attend all Grizzlies Prep professional development sessions, on and off campus.
- Update grades in Teacher Ease weekly at a minimum; enter grades in PowerSchool SMS quarterly.
- Record all turnovers and buckets (i.e., merits and demerits) daily.
- Lead a section of daily Crew, Focus, and participate in Friday Community Gatherings.
- Monitor all transitions and homeroom, breakfast, lunch, and Overtime (i.e., detention) on a rotating schedule.
- Make all decisions in the best interest of our students.
- Meet daily (approximately 15 min or less) with the school director or dean of students.
- Spend a period observing in another teacher’s class at least once a week.
- Tutor after school at least once a week.
- Represent Grizzlies Prep with pride and professionalism at all times.
- hold a bachelor’s degree
- hold a either a full/permanent teaching certification OR a renewabletransitional/alternative that will eventually convert to a permanent certification and is valid at least through the end of the academic year
- show evidence of NCLB highly qualified status in the content area in which they areapplying to teach
Core content teachers are expected to attend three weeks of professional development during business hours prior to the school year and to be in the building from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm during the school year.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Grizzlies Prep offers extremely competitive starting salaries and a generous performance-based raise structure.
Grizzlies Prep staff are eligible for subsidized health, dental, vision, and life insurance. Per state law, all charter school employees must contribute to the state pension system; Grizzlies Prep offers a generous matching contribution.
An all-male middle school in downtown Memphis, TN, Grizzlies Prep educates scholars in a rigorous and highly-structured environment. Our mission is for our scholars to excel academically and demonstrate integrity. We opened in 2012 with an inaugural (More)...
Please upload the following documents:
2) Four professional references
3)Complete answers to the applicant questions (see the attachment for the questions)
4) 10-15 minute video-recorded lesson
5) Lesson plan and student materials for the lesson you recorded