In 1998, FirstLine Schools started the first charter school in New Orleans, which became the highest performing open admission middle school in the city. FirstLine now operates four K-8th grade school and a high school. Our mission is to create and inspire great open admission public schools in New Orleans. We do this by:
- Ensuring high achievement for all our students.
- Providing a rich variety of education experiences to nurture our students’ social and emotional development and love of learning.
- Developing our faculty’s skillfulness and creating sustainable working conditions that facilitate our teachers’ success.
Our faculty is a diverse and talented group dedicated to our students’ success and to their own growth as teachers. Our schools are led by instructional leaders who hold themselves accountable for student achievement and teacher development.
FirstLine Schools is currently seeking talented, passionate K-8th grade teachers across all grade levels and subject areas for the 2013-2014 school year. Teachers will start on July 8 and undergo two weeks of New Teacher training that help set up our teachers for success with trainings held both at the school and at the network-level.
We develop teachers at FirstLine by focusing on excellence in teaching. To do so, we coach teachers and center professional development on our Vision of Excellence in Teaching rubric whose components include:
- Standards Mastery
- Lesson Structure
- Classroom Management
- Growth Mindset
As such key responsibilities for teachers include the following:
- Design lessons and units that lead to standards mastery and are aligned to grade level expectations and end-of-year assessments
- Provide feedback to scholars by asking pertinent, scaffolded follow-up questions that affirm correctly understood content, clarify misunderstood content or extend scholars’ thinking
- Establish effective classroom routines and manage students effectively without disruptions (redirect inappropriate behavior)
- Inspire and invest students in achieving their goals and in believing that goals are achieved through effort and not innate abilities.
- Prepare scholars to solve complex problems with no obvious answer
- Seek out and constructively respond to feedback from and engage in problem-solving with others
Education & Experience
2 or more years of lead teaching (as the teacher of record)
- Demonstrated success working with students in an urban, open admissions school
- A BA or BS degree
- A strong background in and command of content area
- Louisiana Teacher Certification Completed or in progress (or be eligible to hold on for our out-of-state applicants)
Qualities & Characteristics
- Believe in every student
- Achieve results
- Take personal responsibility
- Thrive on feedback
- Are passionate about their craft
- Share a commitment to creating great schools in New Orleans
- Competitive bonuses are awarded based on student achievement and teacher skillfulness
- Comprehensive benefits package
We believe New Orleans can be the first city in America where every child goes to a great school.
Apply through Tioki and include your Resume. Video is optional.